Six Degrees of Separation: from Sorrow and Bliss to Windyridge

It's the first Saturday of the month and time to play Six Degrees of Separation. This meme is hosted by Kate of Books Are My Favourite and Best. The aim is to link six books to each other from the starting point.

This month the starting point is Sorrow and Bliss by Meg Mason. Once again, I've not read the book we are starting with and, as last month, time is not my friend due to various committments, the highlight of which was a four-day family get-to-gether to celebrate my father's 96th birthday (which I'm still recovering from).

As Sorrow and Bliss has been shortlisted for the Women's Prize for Fiction 2022, I thought I'd look at previous winners. This wasn't very helpful, but at least it gave me a starting point. The only author I was familiar with was Helen Dunmore, who won the prize in 1996 for A Spell of Winter. I haven't read this book, although it is sitting on my bookshelf. Dunmore was born in Yorkshire and this fact will provide the link to my next and subsequent books, all by authors born in that county. Yes, I'm taking another easy and quick route this month.

That's my chain for this month. It includes three books in my TBR (two from my very neglected Classics Club list: South Riding and Windyridge) and three that I read years ago when they were first released. Conspicuous by their absence are any books by the most famous of Yorkshire-born authors, the Brontës.

Next month, the starting point is Wintering by Katherine May.

10 comments:

  1. The only one of these I've actually read is South Riding, but I'm always up for reading another Dunmore or Hill. I'd read any of these in fact (apart from the Taylor Bradford, whom I don't get on with) because I too am a Yorkshire lass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Taylor Bradford's early novels, but haven't read much from her since. Being born in Yorkshire also, I tend to gravitate to historical fiction set in Yorkshire, written by Yorkshire authors :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely chain here! I haven't read Bradford in YEARS (more like decades, actually)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Davida. I read the first book in her latest series (Master of His Fate) but wasn't tempted to carry on.

      Delete
  3. Always pleased to see Helen Dunmore given a mention and a good one to pick for the Women's Prize for Fiction as this novel was the first one to win it when it was still known as the Orange prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read more of Helen Dunmore's books. You've piqued my interest about the Orange Prize. I'm off to read more about it and why the name change. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Never heard of Windyridge, but I am a big Yorkshire fan, so might explore that. I believe I've read most of the others... Love to see the love for Helen Dunmore and Winifred Holtby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windyridge is a classic, published around 1912. I don't think that it is that well known although it has been re-issued. I've not read Holtby yet, but mean to soon.

      Delete
  5. I love your Yorkshire theme. South Riding is a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. I'm looking forward to reading South Riding.

      Delete