Classics Club Spin #30: The Number Has Been Announced!

book cover image
The result of the Spin has been announced. It is #5!

In the 20 books I'd listed for this spin, five were set in Australia and I was hoping for one of these.

Well, I'm very happy with the outcome of the spin as I Know My Love by Catherine Gaskin, set in 1850s Australia, was #5 on my list. I need to read this book by August 7th, 2022.

Gaskin is more famous for her other novel set in colonial Australia, Sara Dane, which was my introduction to this author in my early teenage years.

Synopsis

I Know My Love is the story of two women - and a man; of Emmy and Rose, bound to each other irrevocably by ties of friendship and love, and still locked in a ceaseless struggle for the same man, Adam. It is the contest between the brilliant, but unobtrusive, Emmy and Rose, hauntingly beautiful, to whom men come easily.

It is the story of Australia in the upheaval of the goldrushes of the 1850s; a time of dangers and excitements, huge rewards to be had for the grasping, poverty and death for those whose courage faltered. It is also the story of the years after the rush for gold had simmered down; years when new immigrants turned away from the goldfields to shape new lives for themselves in the rapidly developing towns. It is equally the story of the Maguire family - rowdy, rebelliious and vital Irish immigrants; and of the Langleys - squatter aristocrats born rich and powerful and fighting to hold their own against the newcomers. But, above all, it is a story of a love, of many loves amongst the people who fought and scrambled to make a place for themselves in a harsh, vigorous, new country.


Are you taking part in this Spin? If so, are you happy with the result?

4 comments:

  1. This sounds terrific! I've never heard of it before, will be eager to hear how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the spin has given you a result you're happy with! I haven't read anything by Catherine Gaskin but have been meaning to read Sara Dane for years. I hope you enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I'm feeling good about this spin!

      Delete