2023 Reading Challenges - Wrap Up

This is my wrap-up post for the various challenges I participated in during 2023.

 

Last year was not a good year for me. Various issues, which I won't bore you with, impacted on my reading and reviewing. Hopefully, 2024 will be a better year. 

Here are my challenge results:

 Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge 2023

This challenge is hosted by Carol @ Carol's Notebook.

From the five levels available, I selected to read and review between 5-15 books - Amateur Sleuth. I reviewed thirteen.

01. The Drums of War (Thomas Tallant Mysteries #3) by Michael Ward
02. The Whispering Women by Trish MacEnulty
03. The Burning Bride by Trish MacEnulty
04. Death on Deck by Verity Bright
05. The Scottish Ladies' Detective Agency by Lydia Travers
06. Murder in the Scottish Hills by Lydia Travers
07. Murder on Oak Street by I. M. Foster
08. Murder in Manhattan by Verity Bright
09. Mystery in the Highlands by Lydia Travers
10. Harlem After Midnight by Louise Hare
11. Murder by Invitation by Verity Bright
12. Bone Rites by Natalie Bayley
13. Murder on the Cornish Cliffs by Verity Bright

Result for this challenge: SUCCESS

European Reading Challenge 2023

This challenge was hosted by Gilion @ Rose City Reader.

The aim was to read books set in European countries or books by European authors. I had opted to read at least five books (FIVE STAR (DELUXE ENTOURAGE) but read four with one reviewed.

01. The Rose and Thistle by Laura Frantz (SCOTLAND)
02. Honour the Dead by John Anthony Miller (ITALY)
03. Die Around Sundown by Mark Pryor (FRANCE)
04. Brush Strokes from the Past by Heidi Eljaro (NORWAY)

Result for this challenge: FAIL

Historical Fiction Reading Challenge 2023

This challenge is hosted by Marg @ The Intrepid Reader.

Once again I opted for the Prehistoric level: read and review 50+ books. I look upon this as my master challenge, as all the other challenges I sign up for crossover into this one.

I read 84 historical fiction novels in 2023, but only wrote reviews for 17, most of them for book tours:

01. The Rose and the Thistle by Laura Frantz
02. Sisters of Castle Leod by Elizabeth Hutchison Bernard
03. Caledon by Virginia Crow
04. The Drums of War by Michael Ward
05. The Whispering Women by Trish MacEnulty
06. The Burning Bride by Trish MacEnulty
07. Death on Deck by Verity Bright
08. The Scottish Ladies' Detective Agency by Lydia Travers
09. Murder in the Scottish Hills by Lydia Travers
10. The Roads of War by John Cameron
11. Murder on Oak Street by I. M.Foster
12. Murder in Manhattan by Verity Bright
13. Mystery in the Highlands by Lydia Travers
14. Harlem After Midnight by Louise Hare
15. Murder by Invitation by Verity Bright
16. Bone Rites by Natalie Bayley
17. Murder on the Cornish Cliffs by Verity Bright

Result for this challenge: FAIL

2023 New Release Challenge

This challenge was hosted by Brandee and Lexie at (un)Conventional Bookworms.

I opted for 1-30 books - New Release Newbie and read and reviewed 11.

01. The Rose and the Thistle by Laura Frantz
02. Sisters of Castle Leod by Elizabeth Hutchison Bernard
03. Death on Deck by Verity Bright
04. The Scottish Ladies' Detective Agency by Lydia Travers
05. Murder in the Scottish Hills by Lydia Travers
06. Murder in Manhattan by Verity Bright
07. Mystery in the Highlands by Lydia Travers
08. Harlem After Midnight by Louise Hare
09. Murder by Invitation by Verity Bright
10. Bone Rites by Natalie Bayley
11. Murder on the Cornish Cliffs by Verity Bright

Result for this challenge: SUCCESS

Reading Angela Thirkell's Barsetshire Series In Order

This challenge is hosted by Kay @ Whatmeread and although she managed to read all of the novels, my challenge is ongoing.

My library not having all of Thirkell's novels makes it difficult for me to continue with this challenge.  I'm not sure I want to purchase the rest of the series, although I have Miss Bunting and Peace Breaks Out. I'm still trawling through second-hand bookshops in the hope of a bargain.

Result for this challenge: still in there with a chance of success.

The Classics Club

Oh dear, this challenge has been very neglected. My list is gathering more dust and cobwebs as I type. I didn't read any books from it this year and participated in none of the spins which would have helped. I've extended my finishing date beyond the original five years. 

This year I'm hoping make some headway, even if I have to swap out some titles.

Result for this challenge: FAIL

Goodreads

I read 84 out of 115 books (73%).

Result for this challenge: FAIL


As mentioned before, 2023 was not a great reading and reviewing year for me. I'm surprised to have succeeded in two challenges. Despite my poor reviewing result, there were some wonderful books in the 84 I did read!

I'm signing up for these four challenges in 2024: Cloak and Dagger, European Reading Challenge, Historical Fiction Challenge and The TBR 24 in 24, with the New Releases Challenge being an option as there is no indication as yet that it will continue in 2024.  My targets will be very conservative. 

 I will continue with Reading Angela Thirkell's Barsetshire Series in Order as far as I am able and hope to reduce my Classics Club list.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining us for the European Reading Challenge. Sorry your journey got cut short, but four is still a respectable tour!

    ReplyDelete