2022 Reading Challenges - Wrap Up

This is my wrap-up post for the various challenges I participated in during 2022. I failed most of them. In hindsight I probably set my goals too high (I based them on my 2021 results).

Sadly in 2022 I had less time to devote to blogging and reading. On top of that I lost my motivation part way through the year (sorry to those authors whose books I have promised to review and are still waiting) and my primary book supplier (the library) had some issues with inter-library loans which meant that the books I wanted to read didn't arrive in time or overwhelmed me by arriving all at once.

Anyway, enough of the excuses, here are my challenge results.

2022 Aussie Author Reading Challenge

This challenge is hosted by Jo at Book Lovers Reviews and sadly, 2022 was the final year for this challenge.

I opted for the Wallaroo level: read and review 6 titles written by Australian Authors of which at least 2 of those authors are female, at least 2 of those authors are male, and at least 2 of those authors are new to you; Fiction or non-fiction, at least 2 genres.

I fulfilled all the criteria except the two male authors. I had intended to read The Call of Empire by Peter Watts, Fanatic Heart by Tom Keneally or Nimblefoot by Robert Drewe, but didn't get to them in time.

These are the books I read by Australian authors this year:

01.The Girl from Paris by Ella Carey
02.The Crimson Thread by Kate Forsyth
03. The Lost Sister of Fifth Avenue by Ella Carey
04. The Brightest Star by Emma Harcourt
05. The Keepers of the Lighthouse by Kaye Dobbie
06. Moonlight and the Pearler's Daughter by Lizzie Pook
07. Murder at the Dunwich Asylum (Dr Hamish Hart #1) by Karen Thurecht
08. Plantation Murders (Dr Hamish Hart #2) by Karen Thurecht
09. I know My Love by Catherine Gaskin
10. Evil in Emerald by A.M. Stuart

Result for this challenge: FAIL.

2022 Chunkster Challenge

This challenge was hosted by Becky's Book Reviews.

The aim was to read as many books over 450 pages in length as you like during the challenge period. I had a large list to choose from. I've a couple of chapters to go before I finish the book I selected from this list, The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (hardcover, 703 pages), but to my surprise the following books I read this year met the challenge criteria:

Where God Does Not Walk by Luke McCallin (hardcover, 528 pages)
The Bloodless Boy (Hunt and Hooke #1) by Robert J. Lloyd (hardcover, 464 pages)
Dead Man's Land (Dr John Watson #1) by Robert Ryan (hardcover, 470 pages)
The Dead Can Wait (Dr John Watson #2) by Robert Ryan (hardcover, 480 pages)
A Study in Murder (Dr John Watson #3) by Robert Ryan (hardcover, 480 pages)

Result for this challenge: partial SUCCESS even though reviews are pending.

Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge 2022

This challenge is hosted by Carol @ Carol's Notebook.

From the five levels available, I selected to read and review 16-25 books - Detective. I read over 66 crime/mystery novels but only reviewed 13:

01. Jane and the Year Without a Summer by Stephanie Barron
02. The Red Horse by James R. Benn
03. A Royal Murder by Verity Bright
04. The French for Murder by Verity Bright
05. Last Nocturne by M.J. Trow
06. A Fatal Crossing by Tom Hindle
07. Miss Aldridge Regrets by Louise Hare
08. Where the Sky Begins by Rhys Bowen
09. Death Down the Aisle by Verity Bright
10. Millstone of Doubt by Erica Vetsch
11. Murder in an Irish Castle by Verity Bright
12. Under a Veiled Moon by Karen Odden
13. Murder After Christmas by Rupert Latimer

Result for this challenge: FAIL

European Reading Challenge 2022

This challenge was hosted by Gilion @ Rose City Reader.

The aim was to read books set in European countries or books by European authors. I had opted to read at least five books (FIVE STAR (DELUXE ENTOURAGE) and this I managed to do. I have until January 31 to finalise reviews for the last two books. Not sure if this will happen.

01. The Crimson Thread by Kate Forsyth (Greece)
02. The Secret Keeper by Siobhan Curham (Spain)
03. The Brightest Star by Emma Harcourt (Italy)
04. The Wolf and the Watchman by Niklas Natt och Dag (Sweden)
05. Where God Does Not Walk by Luke McCallen (France/Germany)

Result for this challenge: a possible SUCCESS if last two reviews submitted.

Historical Fiction Reading Challenge 2022

This challenge is hosted by Marg @ The Intrepid Reader.

As I reviewed 71 books last year I opted for the Prehistoric level: read and review 50+ books. I look upon this as my master challenge, as all the other challenges I sign up for crossover into this one. I read 107 historical fiction novels in 2022, but only wrote reviews for 32:

01. The Girl from Paris by Ella Carey
02. The Siren of Sussex by Mimi Matthews
03. Out Front the Following Sea by Leah Angstman
04. The Next Ship Home by Heather Webb
05. Summer Half by Angela Thirkell
06. Jane and the Year Without a Summer
07. The Paris Network by Siobhan Curham
08. The Red Horse by James R. Benn
09. A Royal Murder by Verity Bright
10. Cheerfulness Breaks In by Angela Thirkell
11. The French for Murder by Verity Bright
12. Last Nocturne by M.J. Trow
13. A Fatal Crossing by Tom Hindle
14. The Angel of Vienna by Kate Hewitt
15. Raleigh - Tudor Adventurer by Tony Riches
16. The Lost Sister of Fifth Avenue by Ella Carey
17. The Crimson Thread by Kate Forsyth
18. The Secret Keeper by Siobhan Curham
19. Miss Aldridge Regrets by Louise Hare
20. Where the Sky Begins by Rhys Bowen
21. Death Down the Aisle by Verity Bright
22. My Name is Ona Judge by Suzette D. Harrison
23. Millstone of Doubt by Erica Vetsch
24. In the Shadow of a Queen by Heather B. Moore
25. The Belle of Belgrave Square by Mimi Matthews
26. Small Eden by Jane Davis
26. The Godmother's Secret by Elizabeth St.John
27. Godmersham Park by Gill Hornby
28. The Brightest Star by Emma Harcourt
29. Murder in an Irish Castle by Verity Bright
30. The Sisters of Sea View by Julie Kalssen
31. Under a Veiled Moon by Karen Odden
32. Murder After Christmas by Rupert Latimer

Result for this challenge: FAIL

2022 New Release Challenge

This challenge was hosted by Brandee and Lexie at (un)Conventional Bookworms.

In 2021 I reviewed 61 new releases and took a chance that I would be able to satisfy the next level: 61-100 books - New Release Veteran. Well, I fell way short of my target, only reveiwing 28 new releases of the 38 I'd read.

01. The Girl from Paris by Ella Carey
02. The Siren of Sussex by Mimi Matthews
03. Out Front the Following Sea by Leah Angstman
04. The Next Ship Home by Heather Webb
05. Jane and the Year Without a Summer by Stephanie Barron
06. The Paris Network by Siobhan Curham
07. A Royal Murder by Verity Bright
08. The French for Murder by Verity Bright
09. A Fatal Crossing by Tom Hindle
10. The Angel of Vienna by Kate Hewitt
11. Raleigh - Tudor Adventurer by Tony Riches
12. The Lost SIster of Fifth Avenue by Ella Carey
13. The Crimson Thread by Kate Foryth
14. The Secret Keeper by Siobhan Curham
15. Miss Aldridge Regrets by Louise Hare
16. Where the Sky Begins by Rhys Bowen
17. Death Down the Aisle by Verity Bright
18. My Name is Ona Judge by Suzette D. Harrison
19. Millstone of Doubt by Erica Vetsch
20. In the Shadow of a Queen by Heather B. Moore
21. The Belle of Belgrave Square by Mimi Matthews
22. Small Eden by Jane Davis
23. The Godmothers Secret by Elizabeth St.John
24. Godmersham Park by Gill Hornby
25. The Brightest Star by Emma Harcourt
26. Murder in an Irish Castle by Verity Bright
27. The Sisters of Sea View by Julie Kalssen
28. Under a Veiled Moon by Karen Odden

Result for this challenge: FAIL

A Literary Christmas 2022

This challenge was hosted by Tarrisa at In the Bookcase. From my list of 14 books, I aimed to read and review at least 4. I read 5 and reviewed only 3, one of which was very short.

01. Murder After Christmas by Rupert Latimer
02. Mystery in White: A Christmas Crime Story by J. Jefferson Farjeon
03. Portrait of a Murderer by Anne Meredith
04. The Case of the Disappearing Beaune by J. Lawrence Matthews
05. A Christmas Deliverance by Anne Perry
16. Murder in an Irish Castle by Verity Bright

Result for this challenge: FAIL

Reading Angela Thirkell's Barsetshire Series In Order

This challenge is hosted by Kay @ Whatmeread and is ongoing.

Kay is now on book #20 The Duke's Daughter, while I have stalled on book #13 The Headmistress. I started reading it in June and six months on I'm only three-quarters of the way through. I had enjoyed all of the preceding books, some more than others, but The Headmistress is proving a challenge.

My library doesn't have all of Thirkell's novels which will make it difficult for me to continue. I'm not sure I want to purchase the rest of the series, although I have purchased Miss Bunting and Peace Breaks Out. I'm trawling through second-hand bookshops in the hope of a bargain.

Result for this challenge: still in there with a chance of success.

The Classics Club

My list is gathering dust and cobwebs. I only read one book from my list in 2022, I Know My Love by Catherine Gaskin, and didn't write a review. I've even had to extend my finishing date beyond the original five years.

Result for this challenge: FAIL






Goodreads

I read 107 out of 135 books (79%).

Result for this challenge: FAIL


2022 was not a great reading challenge year for me. Despite my poor reviewing result, I did read some wonderful books throughout the year!

I'm signing up for only four challenges in 2023: Cloak and Dagger, European Reading Challenge, Historical Fiction Challenge and New Release Challenge. This time, with more conservative targets. I will also be continuing with Reading Angela Thirkell's Barsetshire Series in Order as far as I am able and hope to reduce my Classics Club list by a book or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment