Classics Club Spin #30

Another Classics Club Spin is coming up!

My track record with Classics Club spins is woeful, not that I've participated in that many. I hope this time I've chosen my books wisely and that I'll finish reading whatever the spin dictates AND post a review.


The rules for the spin are simple.

Make a list of twenty books that remain to be read on your Classics Club list. As a suggestion, your list can contain five books you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can't wait to read, five you are neutral about and five free choice (favourite author, re-reads,ancients etc.).

Before Sunday, June 12th, 2022, post the list, numbered one to twenty, on your blog. When the number is announced go to your list and select the book that corresponds to that number. Read and review that book by August 7, 2022.

That's all there is to it.

Here's my list:

01. MY GRAND ENEMY by Jean Stubbs
02. I AM ENGLAND by Patricia Wright
03. FOR THE TERM OF HIS NATURAL LIFE by Marcus Clarke
04. ORLEY FARM by Anthony Trollope
05. I KNOW MY LOVE by Catherine Gaskin
06. OVINGTON'S BANK by Stanley J. Weyman
07. MARY BARTON by Elizabeth Gaskell
08. OVER THE HILLS BY Jeffrey Farnol
09. THE BLACK ARROW by Robert Louis Stevenson
10. PAUL CLIFFORD by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
11. SOUTHERN CROSS by Terry Coleman
12. THE GUN by C.S. Forester
13. GOSHAWK SQUADRON by Derek Robinson
14. NO NAME by Wilkie Collins
15. THE TRANSIT OF VENUS by Shirley Hazzard
16. REYNARDINE by Judith Lennox
17. WINDYRIDGE: A CLASSIC YORKSHIRE NOVEL by Willie Riley
18. THE GINKO TREE by Rix Weaver
19. THE DEVIL'S HOLE by Patricia Ainsworth
20. INHERITANCE by Phyllis Bentley

I'm hoping that the spin will land on one of the titles set in Australia (#03,#05,#11,#18 and #19) or one of the two set in Yorkshire (#17 and #20).

4 comments:

  1. I love No Name! There are a lot of books on your list I'm not familiar with, so I'll be interested to see which one you get. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I won't be disappointed if #14 comes up. If you loved No Name, then I'm sure I'm in for a good read.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Helen, I loved No Name too when I read it for Cc Spin #6.
    I read most of Gaskin's historical fiction romances in my teens early twentiers - several times!! I Know My Love was one of my favs.
    Is the Forester part of the Hornblower series?

    Good luck with your spin - I hope it works for you this time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm hoping #14 will come up!

      I read some of Gaskin's novels around the same age as you, but I Know My Love wasn't one of them.

      The Gun isn't part of the Hornblower series, although it is set during the Napoleonic Wars. It was made into a film called The Pride and the Passion, starring Cary Grant and Sophia Loren.

      Thanks, Brona.

      Delete