Katharine's Remarkable Road Trip by Gail Ward Olmsted
Read a Snippet

book cover
Publication Date: June 13, 2024
Publisher: Black Rose Writing
Page Length: 226
Genre: Biographical Fiction, Women’s Fiction, Historical Fiction

Synopsis

In the fall of 1907, Katharine decides to drive from Newport, Rhode Island, to her home in Jackson, New Hampshire. Despite the concerns of her family and friends, that at the age of 77 she lacks the stamina for the nearly 300-mile journey, Katharine sets out alone. Over the next six days, she receives a marriage proposal, pulls an all-nighter, saves a life or two, crashes a high-society event, meets a kindred spirit, faces a former rival, makes a new friend, takes a stroll with a future movie mogul, advises a troubled newlywed, and reflects upon a life well lived; her own! 

Join her as she embarks upon her remarkable road trip.

Katharine Prescott Wormeley (1830-1908) was born into affluence in England and emigrated to the U. S. at the age of eighteen. Fiercely independent and never married, Kate volunteered as a nurse on a medical ship during the Civil War, before founding a vocational school for underprivileged girls. A lifelong friend and trusted confidante of landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, she was a philanthropist, a hospital administrator, and the author of The Other Side of War: 1862, as well as the noted translator of dozens of novels written by French authors, including Moliere and Balzac. She is included in History’s Women: The Unsung Heroines; History of American Women: Civil War Women; Who’s Who in America 1908-09; Notable American Women, A Biographical Dictionary: 1607-1950 and A Woman of the 19th Century: Leading American Women in All Walks of Life.

Snippet

Outlook on life at the age of 77

To look at me today, you would see a grey-haired, plainly dressed and slightly stooped older woman, but in my heyday, I was quite attractive, fashionable, and lively. As a matter of fact, the well-known landscape architect Mr. Frederick Law Olmsted, once introduced me as his ‘most fetching friend’. Imagine that!

Despite close friends and paramours, I have stayed the course with my original plan of remaining single. I much prefer the term ‘single’ to ‘un-married’, don’t you? It sounds more deliberate, like it was something I chose as opposed to how I just happened to end up. Would I have enjoyed the companionship of a loyal and loving husband to accompany me on a journey like the one I had just embarked upon? Well, yes, perhaps I might, but honestly? If I had ever married, the experiences I’ve had, the love I’ve known and the work that has sustained me would likely not have occurred. My life would certainly have progressed in an entirely different direction, perhaps even one that included children. That might have been fulfilling, but those are the regrets that I must not dwell on, especially not on a lovely day such as this. For today, I was relatively healthy, possessed of sound mind and spirit, and financially secure. I felt confident that I would leave this Earth in a state better than I had found it and there’s nothing better than that.

Where to Purchase

This title will be available on #KindleUnlimited.

Universal Buy Link HERE

Meet the Author

image of author
Gail Ward Olmsted was a marketing executive and a college professor before she began writing fiction on a fulltime basis. A trip to Sedona, AZ inspired her first novel Jeep Tour. Three more novels followed before she began Landscape of a Marriage, a biographical work of fiction featuring landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, a distant cousin of her husband’s, and his wife Mary. After penning a pair of contemporary novels featuring a disgraced attorney seeking a career comeback (Miranda Writes, Miranda Nights) she is back to writing historical fiction featuring an incredible woman with an amazing story. Watch for Katharine's Remarkable Road Trip on June 13th.

For more information, please visit her on Facebook and at gwolmstedauthor.carrd.co

Connect with Gail:
Website : Twitter : Facebook : Instagram : Book Bub : Amazon Author Page : Goodreads

Tour Schedule

Tour Schedule Page HERE

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for hosting Gail Ward Olmsted today, with a fabulous snippet from her evocative novel, Katharine's Remarkable Road Trip.

    Take care,
    Cathie xx
    The Coffee Pot Book Club

    ReplyDelete