Six Degrees of Separation: From No One is Talking About This to Heidi

book cover image
It's the first Saturday of the month and time to play Six Degrees of Separation. This meme is hosted by Kate of Books Are My Favourite and Best. The aim is to link six books to each other from the starting point.

This month the starting point is No One is Talking About This by Patricia Lockwood. Usually when I haven't read the novel I look to Goodreads for help. Unfortunately, the book's blurb didn't provide any flashes of inspiration so I'm going with a book that I have flagged as "Want to Read": The Animals at Lockwood Manor by Jane Healy.

In 1939, Hetty Cartwright is given the job to evacuate and look after a collection of mammals from the natural history musuem. Lockwood Manor is the destination, where Hetty and her charges are to remain for the duration

of the war.

Another Hettie features in The Zookeeper of Belfast by S. Kirk Walsh. Set during the Belfast Blitz of 1941, Hettie Quin is a zookeeper who forms a special bond with baby elephant Violet and does everything she can to keep Violet safe from the bombings and the authorities. This novel is based on a true story.

Also based on a true story and set during World War II is The Zookeeper' Wife by Diane Ackerman. When most of the animals at the Warsaw Zoo are killed by German bombs or are shipped to Berlin, Antonia and her husband, Jan, make use of the empty cages in the zoo to hide Jews. Ammunition and other explosives are concealed around the zoo in preparation for what became known as the Warsaw Uprising.

Staying in Poland and continuing with the World War II theme, my next link is to Kelly Rimmer's The Things We Cannot Say. It is a dual time novel set in the present day and German-occupied Poland.

With my next link I'm escaping from Poland. The Silver Sword by Ian Serrailier, also published as Escape from Warsaw is a children's classic. First released in 1956 and set at the end of World War II, it recounts the exploits of three children as they attempt to flee Poland for Switzerland where they hope to be reunited with their parents.

Switzerland is the link to my final book, another classic and childhood favourite, Heidi by Johanna Spyri. Heidi is an orphan who is cared for by her gruff grandfather until she is sent to be a companion to wealthy Klara, a wheelchair-bound invalid. Heidi's homesickness for the Alps, however, makes her so ill that she is returned to her grandfather. I need to dust off my old copy and read this one again.
Well, that's my Six Degrees of Separation for this month. My links include the names Lockwood and Hetty (Hettie), zookeepers, World War II, Poland, Switzerland and children's classics.

Next month (March 5, 2022), the starting point is The End of the Affair by Graham Greene.

22 comments:

  1. While I hate the book's title, I think I'd like to read The Zookeeper's Wife. (They should have called it The Zookeepers of Warsaw, because both of them, and their son, were involved!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the title isn't very imaginative. It joins a long list of "wife" books. I hope you get to read it!

      Delete
  2. The Zoo Keepers Wife sounds interesting (though I agree with Davida's comment) as does the Kelly Rimmer. Both The Silver Sword and Heidi were childhood favourites. I ought to check them out again - or maybe they're best left in my memory-bank. I like this chain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always risky re-reading a childhood favourite. Thanks, Margaret!

      Delete
  3. Ah, thank you for bringing back memories of Heidi, one of my favourite childhood books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great links!
    There's another amazing novel with a kind of circus/zoo, animals, and WWI story: Wild Dog, by Serge Joncour: https://wordsandpeace.com/2020/04/25/book-review-wild-dog/

    My chain: https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/02/05/six-degrees-of-separation-daughter-and-mother/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild Dog sounds interesting. Thanks, Emma!

      Delete
  5. Aaah this is such a beautiful Six Degrees chain! I have The Animals of Lockwood Manor on my TBR. For a change, I've enjoyed the movie of The Zoo Keeper's Wife more than the book. The Zoo Keeper of Belfast I need to check out for sure.

    Have a wonderful February!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I also usually like a book more than the film. I haven't seen The Zookeeper's Wife but would like to.

      Delete
  6. I like the Lockwood link, very clever! Hmm, I recently reread Heidi, which was also a childhood favourite. Unfortunately, it didn't really resonate, when reading as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We take the chance of spoiling the magic when we re-read childhood favourites as adults. I still would like to re-read Heidi - but there is no rush :-)

      Delete
  7. I have read The Animals at Lockwood Manor and I think you might enjoy it. The two Zookeeper books both sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so as I do like gothic mysteries. I like that the two Zookeeper books are set in different countries.

      Delete
  8. Nice work--like way these weave together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely chain! My brother was stationed in Warsaw for several years and so I read The Silver Sword prior to visiting him. Of course, I have also read Heidi although it is not one of my kidlit favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Warsaw.
      I still remember by childhood visit to relatives in Lodz. Unfortunately, never had the chance re-visit Poland.

      Delete
    2. I did enjoy Warsaw although liked Krakow better. My brother tried to get us to Lodz, which I gather is known for textiles, but we ran out of time.

      I was not familiar with that Kelly Rimmer book but I work at a local library once a month and wouldn't you know a teen wanted it for school yesterday and asked me to help him find it (actually, his mother asked me; he looked as if he would be happy to go home without it!).

      Delete
    3. It's not a book you would expect a teen to want to read, although he may enjoy it!

      Delete
  10. Well done on managing to link to that starter book! I tried to find other authors with similar names but there are precious few.

    Although I haven't read any of your books, I do agree about re-reading childhood favourites - for me Eve Garnett (The Family From One End Street) and Kenneth Graham were just as wonderful as they had been all those years ago, but Noel Streatfeild was a disappointment, and as for Malcolm Savill, I wish I had just stuck to my memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I agree about Kenneth Graham, but can't remember ever reading any Garnett, Savill or Streatfield novels.

      Delete