Six Degrees of Separation: From Second Place to The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side

The first Saturday of the month is time to play Six Degrees of Separation. This meme is hosted by Kate of Books Are My Favourite and Best. The aim is to link six books to each other from the starting point.

This month the starting point is Second Place by Rachel Cusk, a novel I haven't read, in which an artist plays a major role.

Art and painting is the obvious way to go for that first link, and indeed that's where I'm heading with this novel by another Rachel, The Glass Painter's Daughter by Rachel Hore. The story does involve painting, but in a different medium: stained glass.

Creating pictures of glass leads me to animals made of glass in Tennessee William's popular play The Glass Menagerie. Whilst I haven't read the play, I do remember the 1950 film starring Kirk Douglas. Amongst her collection of glass animals perhaps Laura, one of the main characters, had some sea creatures which takes me to my next link.

The Glass Ocean was the first collaboration between Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig and Karen White that I read. It is set during the late Edwardian era on board the doomed RMS Lusitania.
Another first, also set in the late Edwardian era, is Lucy Ribchester's debut novel The Hourglass Factory. Frankie George, a female journalist, is sent to interview a trapeze artist, which leads her to a corsetry shop, a mystery and many unusual people. Nothing is as it seems.

While an hourglass figure is a description of a female body shape, an hourglass records the passage of time. Time features in Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll, although it goes backwards. Like Frankie, Alice finds nothing is as it seems.

Looking-glass is an old term for a mirror, which brings me to my final link, The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by Agatha Christie. This is a Miss Marple mystery and one of the few that I've read.
That's my post for this month. I've gone (very carefully with all that glass around) from a novel I haven't read to an old favourite, linking them primarily through the word glass.

Next month (October 2, 2021), the starting point will be The Lottery by Shirley Jackson.

20 comments:

  1. This is wonderful -- a chain that revolves around glass! In a lot of worlds, glass or mirror is certainly a portal to other worlds. :) Now I really want to watch the movie for The Glass Menagerie!
    ~Lex (lexlingua.co)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lex. I've read a few novels where that happens.
      Hope you get to watch The Glass Menagerie!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful chain! I couldn't help but think of Annie Lennox's "Walking on Broken Glass" when you mentioned being careful around all that glass! I especially liked the last link--looking-glass as an old term for a mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard that song in ages. Off to YouTube for a refresher. Thanks, itskoo!

      Delete
  3. I love your glass theme this month - very clever! I've only read the Lewis Carroll and Agatha Christie books, but all of the others sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I hope you get to read some of the others.

      Delete
  4. Lots of glass here... I haven't read The Glass Menagerie, but I've seen a couple films and several productions. By the way, The Glass Ocean is the second of the Team-W books. Their first was The Forgotten Room, which I just read and reviewed recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew that The Glass Ocean was the second book from Team-W, but it was the first of their books I'd read. Thanks for pointing out that I'd messed up that sentence. Error corrected.

      Delete
  5. What a clever idea for a chain! But I've only read Lewis Carroll ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting chain. The only book I read was your first - the Glass Menagerie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always intrigued by novels that are jointly written- would love to know their writing process, especially with three authors (who are all experienced and would have their own way of working).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know too. I envisage the sessions being very lively.

      Delete
  8. I have been meaning to read Williams, Willig and White collaborations. I have read them separately but never together.

    Enjoyed your chain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the three, I've only read Willig, although I have added books by the others to my TBR.

      Delete
  9. Fun idea to focus on glass! It always amazes me how many different ways you can create these chains. I too included Agatha Christie in my chain - but then again, I seem to do that quite often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This meme is such fun. I agree part of the pleasure is looking at the other chains. I gather you're a fan of Agatha Christie!

      Delete
  10. I recently read my first Agatha Christie (Murder on the Orient Express), and Tennessee Williams (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof), so I'll have to give The Mirror and the Menagerie a try. Clever chain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read either of those. I don't read much Agatha Christie, but I'm a fan of the Poirot and Miss Marple TV series. I've also watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof starring Burl Ives, Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman a number of times. Great film.

      Delete