Six Degrees of Separation: From Redhead by the Side of the Road to The Unfortunate Victim

The first Saturday of the month is time to play Six Degrees of Separation. This meme is hosted by Kate of Books Are My Favourite and Best. The aim is to link six books to each other from the starting point, which today is Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler.

I've not read this book but have read several by an author with the same surname: L.C. Tyler. Len Tyler writes comic crime novels. I'm following his historical mystery series set in the 17th century which features John Grey, a lawyer and a spy. The latest and fifth book in this series is The Bleak Midwinter.

The fifth book in another series I'm following is The Bee's Kiss by Barbara Cleverly. Initially this series was set in 1920s India during the last decades of the British Raj, but in this book the male protagonist, Joe Sandilands, a Scotland Yard detective and an ex-soldier, continues his crime solving back in England.

Abir Mukherjees' crime series is also set in post-World War I India. It follows two members of the Imperial Police Force based in Calcutta, Captain Sam Wyndham and his young Sergeant Surendranath 'Surrender-Not' Banerjee. Wyndham is also an ex-soldier, has worked with Special Branch and is fighting an opium addiction. Banerjee is a British-educated Bengali who is at odds with his family because of his ties to the British. The first book in the series is entitled A Rising Man.
Another promising mystery series set in the East is from Australian author A.M. Stuart. Singapore Sapphire is the first book and features Harriet Gordon, who has left England for a fresh start in colonial Singapore.

The fabulous and well-known Phyrne Fisher makes her 21st appearance in Kerry Greenwood's latest novel Death in Daylesford. Daylesford is a popular Australian spa town about 110 km from Melbourne, although it began its days as a goldmining town in the 1850s.

The Unfortunate Victim by Greg Pyers, set in Daylesford in 1864, introduces Detective Otto Berliner. Berliner fights police incompetence and prejudice to solve the murder of newly-wed Maggie Stuart.
Well, that's my Six Degrees of Separation for this month. My links have taken me from the author's surname to the fifth book in a series, post-World War I India of the British Raj, another mystery set in the East, Australian authors and finally, the spa and goldmining town of Daylesford in Victoria, Australia.

Next month the starting point is Phosphoresence by Julia Baird.

8 comments:

  1. A M Stuart also writes historical fiction under the name Alison Stuart and I read a couple of her books last year and loved them! I haven't read the Harriet Gordon books yet, but I do want to!

    Enjoyed your chain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like her historical fiction novels too!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful chain! By the way, I didn't care much for the first Phyrne Fisher book, but we're now binging the TV series instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TV series is a favourite of mine too!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this!! Would never ever had made the connection. Good job! And now I have a few new books to add to my TBR. I've read one or two Kerry Greenwoods. Lovely books.

    I'm a bit late for six degrees, but here's my link: 6 Degrees of Separation - missed it by a red hair's breadth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm pleased you found some new books to add to your TBR!

      Delete
  4. Just catching up with all these chains. I love yours, these are books I would really like to read.

    The only things I know about India come from The Jewel in the Crown, and I know next to nothing about Australia (have seen Picnic at Hanging Rock and The Castle, and that’s about the limit of my dismal education) so these sound like good ways for me to start to learn. Similarly, all I know about Singapore comes from Tenko (!) but I’d very much like to know more. Adding these to my list, thank you.

    (My chain spent most of its time in France: https://sconesandchaiseslongues.blogspot.com/2021/02/six-degrees-of-separation-february-2021.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm pleased that you too have found some books to add to your TBR. Happy reading!

      Delete