SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION: From Wolfe Island to Island of Bones

The first Saturday of the month is time to play Six Degrees of Separation. This meme is hosted by Kate of Books Are My Favourite and Best. The aim is to link six books to each other from the starting point.

This month it is Wolfe Island by Lucy Treloar. Once again, it is a book I haven't read yet, even though I had intended to before this month's Six Degrees of Separation. The setting is an island off the north east coast of the USA

My first thought was to link to other novels set on islands. I've read many books with this setting, but as I'm pressed for time this month, I'm going with the

easier option of linking books with the word island in the title.

My first book is one I read when I was about ten years old: The Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. I don't remember very much about it other than it was about a young girl alone on an island and the wolves. Perhaps I should re-read it.

From this island in the Pacific Ocean, I'm setting sail for Tahiti, also in the Pacific. Tahiti features in the second book of Lloyd Shepherd's Charles Horton Regency mysteries, The Poisoned Island, although most of the action takes place in England.

The Caribbean is the setting of The Traitor of Treasure Island by John Drake. It is a re-telling of Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.


My next stop is back to the north east coast of the USA. In The Island (Grand & Batchelor Victorian Mysteries #4) by M.J. Trow enquiry agents Grand and Batchelor are visiting from England. They become involved in a murder on Smuttynose Island, Maine. This case is based on an actual murder which took place on the island in 1873.

Island in the East by Jenny Ashcroft is a dual time frame historical romance. It is set in Singapore in the late 19th century and during World War II.

My final link takes me to an island in the middle of a lake and Imogen Robertson's novel Island of Bones (Crowther & Westerman mysteries #3). The title refers to St. Herbert's Island in the middle of Derwentwater, Cumbria, England.


My island hopping has taken me to islands off the north east coast of the USA, in the Pacific, the Caribbean, the South China Sea and to a lake in north west England. Where did your chain take you?

Next month (April 4, 2020), our starting point will be Anna Funder’s Stasiland.

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful chain! Great idea using a word in the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Islands seem to be very popular settings for fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your island theme! I enjoyed The Poisoned Island, but haven't read any of those other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. Lloyd Shepherd's series was great.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Island in the East when I read it a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy Jenny Ashcroft's novels.

      Delete
  5. I went Island hopping too :)
    Thanks for sharing your chain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of us went the island way. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. Love the island theme - yes, I can see the attraction of islands, although you'd probably get cabin fever after a while (if the island is too small).

    ReplyDelete