CAN'T-WAIT WEDNESDAY: I Can't Wait for The Art of Dying by Ambrose Parry

Can't-Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings, to spotlight and discuss the books we're excited about that we have yet to read. Generally they're books that have yet to be released. Find out more here.

The Art of Dying is the second book in a medical mystery series set in Victorian Edinburgh. One of the main characters is a historical figure, Dr. James Simpson, a Scottish obstetrician who pioneered the use of anaesthetics.

I loved the first book in the series (The Way of All Flesh) and I'm excited to see that there will be a third (A Corruption of Blood), but not until 2021!

Synopsis

Edinburgh, 1850. Despite being at the forefront of modern medicine, hordes of patients are dying all across the city, with doctors finding their remedies powerless. But it is not just the deaths that dismay the esteemed Dr James Simpson - a whispering campaign seeks to blame him for the death of a patient in suspicious circumstances.

Simpson's protégé Will Raven and former housemaid Sarah Fisher are determined to clear their patron's name. But with Raven battling against the dark side of his own nature, and Sarah endeavouring to expand her own medical knowledge beyond what society deems acceptable for a woman, the pair struggle to understand the cause of the deaths.

Will and Sarah must unite and plunge into Edinburgh's deadliest streets to clear Simpson's name. But soon they discover that the true cause of these deaths has evaded suspicion purely because it is so unthinkable.

Release Date: August 29th 2019
Format: Print, ebook and audio
Publisher: Canongate Books
Genre: Historical Fiction/Mystery/Crime


12 comments:

  1. I need to check this series out. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might like this series! There's just something about Victorian mysteries. I hope you enjoy this one. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great, i do hope you enjoy this one. Have a good day! Here is my Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my type of books, but I do love their covers!
    Check out my Wednesday Post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...this sounds like an interesting book! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series sounds really interesting. I think I might recommend it to my book club to read. Thanks for sharing!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete